Distinguished Research Fellow
- 511b Pao Yue-Kong Library
Dr. Zhenwei Yao received his B.S. (2004) and M.S. (2007) degrees in Physics from Xi’an Jiaotong University, and his Ph.D. degree (2012) in Physics from Syracuse University in NY, where he pursued several subjects in soft matter physics with analytical approaches working with Prof. Mark Bowick and Prof. Xiangjun Xing. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow and later promoted to Research Associate at Northwestern University in Illinois from 2012 to 2015, where he worked with Prof. Monica Olvera de la Cruz on the subjects of topological defects, electrostatics, elasticity and geometry in soft matters, and developed computational skills in programming, data processing, as well as MC&MD simulations. In 2015, Dr. Yao was selected to the “Thousand Young Talents Program”, and joined the faculty of the Institute of Natural Sciences and the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Dr. Yao has been actively publishing papers in scientific journals including PRL, PRE, APL, EPL, and PNAS, and has served regularly as a reviewer for PNAS, PRX, PRE, Soft Matter, etc.
Theoretical and computational soft condensed matter physics: topological defects in crystals, liquid crystals and active matters; elasticity and geometry; electrostatics in soft matters; liquid droplet systems.
Topological Defects, Elasticity and Geometry
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Dynamics of vacancies in two-dimensional Lennard-Jones crystals, Phys. Rev. E 90, 062318 (2014); highlighted in Editors’ Suggestion.
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Polydispersity-driven topological defects as order-restoring excitations, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111, 5094 (2014)
- Z. Yao, M. Bowick, X. Ma and R. Sknepnek, Planar sheets meet negative curvature liquid interfaces, Europhys. Lett. 101, 44007 (2013)
- M. Bowick and Z. Yao, Crystalline order on catenoidal capillary bridges, Europhys. Lett. 93, 36001 (2011); arXiv:1012.4378v1
Electrostatics in Soft Matters
- V. Jadhao, Z. Yao, C. K. Thomas, and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Coulomb energy of uniformly charged spheroidal shell systems, Phys. Rev. E 91, 032305 (2015)
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Topological Defects in Flat Geometry: The Role of Density Inhomogeneity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 115503 (2013)
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Packing of charged chains on toroidal geometries, Phys. Rev. E, 87, 012603 (2013)
- Z. Yao, M. Bowick and X. Ma, The electric double layer structure around charged spherical interfaces, J. Chem. Phys. 136, 044106 (2012); arXiv:1110.5309
Liquid Droplet Systems
- Z. Yao and M. Bowick, Self-propulsion of droplets by spatially-varying roughness, Soft Matter 8(4), 1142 (2011); arXiv:1106.5542v1
- Z. Yao and M. Bowick, The shrinking instability of toroidal liquid droplets in the Stokes flow regime, Eur. Phys. J. E 34, 32 (2011); arXiv:1011.3437v3